#5 One Powerful Word
A teacher friend of mine shared this fabulous idea with me a few years ago. It was to be her lesson plan for when the kids returned to school after the holiday break. It is the creation of Sandra from the Always Well Within website. My friend Danielle intended to help her students kick-start their new year off with a clear vision, purpose, and positive mindset. They met with the success she had hoped for and now as we begin our new year, I thought I’d pass this very simple, yet incredibly powerful exercise on to you.
Have fun with it! What will your word be? How will you remind yourself each day of your word? Will you share it with anyone? Will you share it with us and post it below?
My 2015 One Powerful word is FEARLESS….
As shared by Sandra from Always Well Within:
According to some surveys, almost 90% of resolutions end in failure. So why not skip the exhaustive list of New Year’s Resolutions?
The truth is there’s a physiological limit to the amount of willpower we each have. Hence, if you try to change too many things at once, you inevitably fail. It’s a scientific reality.
Instead, consider the simplicity and elegance of selecting one powerful word.
But don’t get hung up on the idea of “one” word. You could choose one word or two. Or a whole phrase. You could work with your word for a full year, six months, or until it’s done. You might decide to focus on a different facet of your word each month.
There are no rules! It’s your life. Experiment and find what works for you.
Finding Your Perfect Word
Is there is a single word or a phrase that captures what you would like to bring into your space? Sit for a while and meditate on it. A perfect word may immediately pop into your mind. Or you might need to let the idea percolate for a bit. Then see what bubbles up. There’s no rush. It might be easier to see clearly once any chaos has passed. But you can let the idea simmer in the meantime.
These questions may help you with the process of finding your perfect word:
- Is there a quality you would like to grow in your life?
- Is there a quality that you would like to diminish? If so, what’s the opposite?
- What outcome would you like to see at the end of the year?
- What activity is primary for the coming year?
- What change would you like to see for yourself or in your life in the coming year?
- Can you encapsulate a goal for the year in one word?
- What do you want your year to look like?
Your word might be eminently practical. Or it might be creative. It might be light-hearted. Or it might be laser-focused. It simply needs to be the perfect word for you.
Here are some suggested words or phrases:
- Balancing Serenity
- Full Throttle Ahead
- Continuous and Never Ending Improvement (CANI)
- Creativity – Express and Embrace
- Just Breathe!
- Kindness and Positivity
- Nying je– the Supreme Emotion
- Peace and Abundance
- Rise and Shine, Sunshine
- Simplify and Grow
- Trail Blaze
Unleash the Power of Your Word
A single word can be immensely powerful if you invest in it. Spend time with your word! Embrace your word. Recall it daily. Let it swim in the unconscious waters of your mind. Meditate on it consciously too. Let it be the focus you lightly return to again and again. Let it be the measure of your thoughts and actions. Your touchstone. Your guidepost. At the same time, there’s no need to obsess on your word. Just have fun with it.
Here are some ways to bring your word alive:
- Post your word in a visible place around your house.
- Post your word on a desktop sticky.
- Reflect on your word. What does this word really mean to you?
- Write a story or a poem about your word.
- Draw a picture or paint a painting about your word.
- Create a collage of your word.
- Journal your process and insights as your word sparks an evolution in your life.
- Create affirmations with your word.
- Blog about your word.
Whatever your word may be, I hope it brings you peace, joy, and contentment in the new year. Thank you, Sandra!